The Amiga 4000 Tower: What's Good, in Summary
The A4000T's positive aspects
By Michael Webb, Editor-in-Chief, MikeWebb@CompuServe.COM
Included here are categorized lists of the A4000T's particularly good points. The categories themselves are alphabetized, while the items within are in no particular order.
Note that I do not intend to recite all of the Amiga's strong points here. Therefore, this list might seem relatively short. But anything good about Amigas in general can be assumed to apply to the A4000T as well, unless otherwise noted.
The Design of the A4000T in Particular
- Internal connector for mixing CD-ROM or DSP audio with Amiga sound output.
- High-quality keyboard and mouse.
- Two video slots (inline with Zorro slots).
- Four IBM PC ISA slots, one of them not inline with any other slot.
- Five Zorro slots.
- Motherboard memory expansion up to 18 MB is easily done through four easily-reached SIMM sockets.
- SIMM's can be mixed sizes.
- 8-MB SIMM's can be used (although this does not increase the motherboard fast RAM limit of 16 MB).
- Includes integrated 32-bit SCSI-II controller.
- All six drive bays are dual-purpose, capable of accommodating 3.5- or 5.25-inch devices.
- phase 5 CyberStorm MKII 68060 board (apparently superior) used in place of standard QuikPak 68060 board.